Is massage therapy part of your chiropractic treatment plan? Combining massages with chiropractic treatment enhances the effects of the treatments and may even help you reduce your risk of illness.
7 Benefits of Mixing Chiropractic and Massage Therapy
When you receive a massage before or after your chiropractic treatments, you’ll enjoy these advantages:
1. Increased Flexibility. Problems with flexibility, stiffness, and reduced range of motion can be caused by subluxation, a process that occurs when the vertebrae in your spine become misaligned. Subluxations increase pressure on the muscles, joints, and ligaments in your back and can cause imbalances throughout your entire body. Although spinal manipulation treatment realigns the vertebrae in your spine, your muscles and tissues may remain tight even after the adjustment. Loosening muscles and tissues with massage therapy make it easier to move without stiffness. It also breaks apart scar tissue that can restrict joint movement.
2. Pain Relief. Have you ever wondered why you feel so good when you leave the chiropractic office? Chiropractic treatments flood your body with endorphins, chemicals that improve your mood and relieve pain naturally and effectively. Both massage therapy and chiropractic treatments trigger the release of these chemicals. Thanks to your treatments, you may be able to reduce the amount of pain medication you take or even stop taking painkillers completely.
3. Better Circulation. Restricted blood flow, a common problem after an injury, makes it difficult for white blood cells to reach the damaged area. White cells repair damaged cells and are essential for healing. The combination of chiropractic treatment and massages improves blood circulation, which helps you feel better sooner.
4. Fewer Headaches. Do headaches interfere with your work, hobbies, or family life? Headaches can be caused by subluxations in the vertebrae in your neck. Spinal manipulation realigns the vertebrae while massages soothe tight, painful muscles in your neck, head, and shoulders. Chiropractic treatment and massages are effective in treating many types of headaches, including tension, cluster, and migraine headaches.
5. Less Stress. Stress is a common complaint of workers throughout the world. In fact, 43% of employees reported feeling stressed in Gallup’s 2021 State of the Global Workforce report. Luckily, a visit to the chiropractor offers an all-natural solution to stress. Chiropractic treatments loosen joints and muscles tightened by stress, while massages relax the muscles even further. Once your muscle pain eases, you’re bound to feel less stressed. Treatments also reset your nervous system, trigger endorphin production, and decrease the “fight or flight” adrenaline response that happens when you’re stressed.
6. A Natural Treatment for Insomnia. Sleeping well is difficult if your back hurts or you’re struggling with stress or anxiety. Chiropractic treatments and massages ease pain and stress, helping you sleep better. Massages also prompt your body to release serotonin, a hormone that controls your moods and helps you feel calm and relaxed.
7. Less Inflammation. Inflammation slows healing and could be the reason that an injury is taking longer than expected to heal. It also plays a part in many general health conditions and diseases, including arthritis, asthma, allergies, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, dementia, cancer, and inflammatory bowel disease. Spinal manipulation, massages, and other therapies your chiropractor offers can decrease inflammation and may reduce your risk of serious health issues.
Are you ready to improve your health with a visit to the chiropractor? Contact us to schedule a convenient appointment.